2019 – The “Spring Festival” marks the start of the Chinese New Year next Tuesday 5th February – 2019 – the Year of the Pig. Celebrated with visits to family and friends, special meals, amazing fireworks and gift giving. People welcome spring and what that brings with it – planting and harvest, new beginnings and fresh starts.
Here at Mac Ivors cider, we love any excuse for delicious food and celebration. So we decided to make a delicious “Plum & Ginger Cider Sauce” to pair with dumplings (‘cos who doesn’t love dumplings), or with spring rolls. You could also even use it to marinade a tasty duck breast, or pork loin.
Our Medium Cider and Plum & Ginger Cider will both match perfectly with many Chinese dishes too. So even if you don’t attempt the sauce, crack open a bottle or two to celebrate New Year in style this weekend!
The recipe is really simple, so try it yourself at home and let us know how you get on.
- 500g fresh plums (destoned and cut into small chunks)
- 1 tbsp Olive oil
- 3 tbsp Demerara sugar
- 2 tbsp freshly grated Ginger
- 250ml Mac Ivors Plum & Ginger Cider
- 1 tbsp Soy sauce
- Heat the olive oil in a pan over a medium temperature, then add all the ingredients and bring to the boil.
- Reduce to a very gentle heat and simmer for 30 mins or so, until the sauce has reduced down to the thickness you’re after, stirring throughout. * We may have used this time to finish the bottle of cider…and then some…
- We used the sauce as is, but you could easily give it a quick blend to smooth any plum chunks.
- Voila – a super simple, delicious sauce – perfect for a side dish or as a marinade for duck
If you fancy heading out to celebrate Chinese New Year instead of cooking at home, be sure and check out the local festivals happening all over Ireland: